Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Rainy Season

When Dave first arrived in NZ last year, one of his first blog entries called the weather annoying. At home safely under the July skies, I scoffed at this description. How could anyone call 14 degrees in the dead of winter annoying? It sure sounded sweet to me.

Over the course of the past two weeks, I now understand this description. The weather really does alternate between brilliant sunshine and plummeting rain all day long. With my time here winding down, I often think I should get out and do more...and yet, I loathe the daily drenchings. Interestingly enough, the Aucklanders seem completely unphased. They do not wear raincoats, and only the staunchest carry umbrellas. As each downpour begins, I can't help but sprint for the nearest tree or bus stop...that alone identifies me as a tourist :-)

No comments: