Friday, January 30, 2009

Things I Miss, Volume II

Perhaps this should really be called the Restaurant Edition, as with the early days of my last pregnancy, I seem incapable of cooking meat, chopping raw veggies, or summoning the energy to go get groceries most days. I know this will pass, but in the meanwhile, I can't help thinking of my favorite restaurants that do take-out.
  • The Works, in particular, I dream of the M.E.C. burger with it's creamy avocado, sun-dried tomatoes, and yummy feta. I've tried to find a New Zealand substitute, but Burger Fuel (http://www.burgerfuel.com/flash.html), Wisconsin Burger (http://www.wisconsin.co.nz/index.html), and Velvet Burger can't compare.
  • New Mee Fung, in particular #305 with BBQ Chicken. If I'm feeling especially decadent, I include non-deep fried pork spring rolls with Peanut Sauce. In a country full of Asian immigrants, I'm certain there must be a fabulous Vietnamese restaurant but I haven't found it yet.
  • Pilos. Dave & I have both tried various versions of the New Zealand Chicken Souvlaki. We've been disappointed time and time again; One in Christchurch resembled chicken chili in a pita, complete with fork to aid eating, that's just wrong. Chicken Souvlaki should be simple, thick garlicky tzatziki with onions, tomatoes, and marinated chicken in a Greek pita. Period. Pilos does one heck of a simple, delicious Chicken Souvlaki.
  • Sandrellas. Although one can find Kebab shops in every neighbourhood, I've not seen a Shawarma shop in all of New Zealand. I fondly look forward to a Chicken Shawarma on warm Cheese Pita when I return to work.

So, any takers for a lunch date? And Bobbi & Carmen, any chance of a Welcome Back Wafflefest? You can't go wrong with waffles, fresh fruit, blueberry coulis, and whipped cream!

3 comments:

Lara said...

new mee fung and pilos are two of my faves too. I could go for a vat of tzatziki right now! :)

Shmitty67 said...

Count me in for the lunch date Special K...Sandrella's or Pilos or the Works..or...all 3...and Bobbi, Carmen, what are the chances of me getting invited to a welcome back wafflefest?? I can bring cheesecake....

Carmen Parsons said...

Ok, I am in for a hosting a waffle fest for your triumphant return. Though I will need to do this in June some time as I am heading out West to work on the family farm for July (and a teensy bit of August).

I even have another new waffle iron to add to my collection.

You supply to list o' people and I'll do the cookin'